clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Off-Topic: Favourite Christmas Song

Jays play Cleveland in game 1 of the ALCS in Cleveland Richard Lautens/Toronto Star via Getty Images

The Jays refuse to give us anything to write about (this is the longest off-season ever), so let’s go off-topic.

So, let’s talk about our favourite Christmas songs.

I’m not a huge fan of Christmas songs, especially when they start playing them in early November. I like some of the traditional ones if they are done straight.

A writer I like has a great story about ‘The Christmas Song’....’The Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire’ one. Mel Tormé wrote it, and the story is about Tormé being at a Farmer’s Market and singing it with some carolers who didn’t know who he was. Well, just read it.

Of course, I’ve been listening to Fairytale of New York a fair bit this year. Last spring, we were on holiday and stopped at a bar for a pre-supper drink and among the bottles behind the of ‘Pogues Irish Whiskey’. I asked the bartender if it was related to the band, but he didn’t know what I was talking about (youth is wasted on the wrong people). But a quick look at Google showed it was related to the band. So I had a taste, and it was....Okay, not great, not bad.

And a perennial favourite of mind:

And, well, I have to watch Holiday Inn every year, and White Christmas is the highlight song:

Share with us your favourite Christmas music.