clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Hall of Fame Poll: David Wright

Miami Marlins v New York Mets Photo by Adam Hunger/Getty Images

The Jays Christmas present wasn’t the overwhelming gift we hoped to get. They signed Paolo Espino to a minor-league deal. He’s 36 (turning 37 in early January) year-old right-handed pitcher, who has pitched in 94 MLB games (41 starts) over 5 seasons for the Nationals, Rangers and Brewers. Career, he has a 5-14 record and a 5.01 ERA.

He spent most of last season pitching for the Nationals’ Triple-A team. In 13 starts he had a 4.33 ERA in 60.1 innings. with 22 walks and 64 strikeouts.

He isn’t a hard thrower. He averaged an 88.9 mph fastball in his career. He also throws a slider, curve and change.

A depth signing.

And Shohei Ohanti gave Joe Kelly’s wife a Porsche in exchange for the number 17:

We are finally at the end of our Hall of Fame polls. Last on the list is David Wright.

Wright played for the Mets for 14 seasons, hitting .296/.376/.491 with 242 home runs (and 196 steals) in 1585 games, with 1777 total hits.

Baseball Reference has him at a 49.2 WAR.

He made 7 All-Star teams and got MVP votes 6 times (finishing as high as 4th). He won two Gold Gloves and 2 Silver Sluggers.

Wright had 4 seasons with bWARs over 5 and 3 more in the 4s, topping out at an 8.3.

He was likely on his way to what would have been easily a Hall of Fame career until injuries slowed him down. He had spinal stenosis and shoulder issues that cost him parts of his last 5 or 6 seasons, and ended his career at 35. From age 32 on, he played just 77 games. After his age 30 season, he only had 20 home runs.

Sometimes I think the need for bulk numbers is over-rated, Wright was a top player for several years. But then there are a number of guys who looked like Hall of Famers for 6-10 seasons but didn’t get there.

Wright is still close to what I’d consider a Hall of Famer. I guess we’ll see what everyone else thinks.

Poll

Would you vote David Wright into the Baseball Hall of Fame?

This poll is closed

  • 17%
    Yes
    (37 votes)