clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Jays Sign Isiah Kiner-Falefa

New York Yankees v Kansas City Royals Photo by Ed Zurga/Getty Images

The Jays reportedly signed Isiah Kiner-Falefa to a two-year $15 million contract. I don’t know why.

He can play all over the field, so he’s a poor man’s Whit Merrifield (though not all that poor at $15 million). In the majors, he’s played every position, other than first base. Infield, he’s pretty decent with the glove. I’d rather not play him in the outfield. He has caught 586 innings.

The unfortunate thing is he can’t hit. Last year, he hit .242/.306/.340 for a 82 wRC+ (right around his career number) in 361 PA. If he gets 361 PA this year for the Jays, something has gone wrong. I’d rather have Espinal in the ‘play everything’ spot. Or Biggio. Or any of half-a-dozen guys in the minors who would make less than $15 million in the next couple of years.

Isiah must be a good guy because he’s played six full seasons without coming close to being a major league average hitting in any of them.

Having a guy who can play all around the diamond is important, but then we have a dozen of that sort in the high minors.

We still need a bat or two, Ross.

Poll

Are you happy with this signing?

This poll is closed