clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Hall of Fame Polls: Andy Pettitte

New York Yankees v New York Mets Photo by Focus on Sport/Getty Images

The Ohtani rumours are heating up. Several writers are saying that the Blue Jays are the front runners, which, of course, worries me. I’m more confident when the writers call them a dark horse.

So, let's do another poll.

I was never a big fan of Andy Pettitte. For one, he was a Yankee. And I always thought he was overrated. Plus, I could never remember how many Ts are in his name.

But he did have a pretty nice career. 18 seasons. 256-153 record with a 3.85 ERA. 531 games, 521 starts. He is 41st all-time in games started. He had a 60.7 bWAR, good for 63th all-time among pitchers.

He was 3rd in Rookie of the Year voting in 1995. The following year, he went 21-8 with a 3.87 ERA, coming in second in Cy Young voting (Pat Hentgen won it that year in a very close vote). He would win 21 games again in 2003.

Pettitte pitched nine seasons with the Yankees and then signed with the Astros as a free agent. After three years there, he went back to the Yankees. Andy played there for five years and then ‘retired.’ After sitting out the 2011 season, he returned to the Yankees for two more seasons. 2013 Andy went 11-11 with a 3.74 ERA in 30 starts at age 41. After that, he retired for good.

Andy won five World Series rings, four with the Yankees and one with the Astros. He holds MLB playoff records for wins (19), starts (44), and innings (276.2).

And, of course, there was some controversy. Pettitte admitted using human growth hormones to “help recover from elbow surgery.” He said Roger Clemen’s trainer got it for him. He also stated that Clemons used PEDs. That must have made them closer friends.

I’m curious if that affects his vote total from the Writers. He played into his 40s, suggesting he may have had more help than just recovering from elbow surgery.

It is Andy’s sixth time on the ballot. Last year, he was on 17.0% of the ballots (which was his high mark in the voting). He isn’t building the momentum needed to get him to that 75% mark.

His career numbers are here.

Poll

Would you vote Andy Pettitte into the Baseball Hall of Fame?

This poll is closed

  • 33%
    Yes
    (81 votes)