clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Tuesday Bantering: Bits of Baseball Stuff

Colorado Avalanche v Winnipeg Jets
Erik Swanson
Photo by Darcy Finley/NHLI via Getty Images

Frustratingly, the Jays still refuse to make any news for us to discuss. Well, other than a rumour that they are interested in Joc Pederson. Like I used to say in the Alex Anthopoulos days, they talk to everyone. There is always a conversation to see if there is interest. It doesn’t mean that something is likely to happen.

But there are bits of baseball (ish) stuff, and since I didn’t post yesterday (it was a very slow-moving day for me), I really should put something up today:

Bob Nightengale (not my favourite sports writer) has a post at USA Today trying to rehabilitate Omar Vizquel’s reputation. So the sexual assault stuff on a clubhouse boy was just clubhouse antics, and the domestic assault charges....well, no one listened to his side of the story.

The abuse of the clubhouse attendant:

“I will say I said some words that I regret saying, but unfortunately, I cannot give details because of the agreement that I signed with this guy. But I can tell you this: the Omar Vizquel that was portrayed in the press is not the Omar Vizquel that believes in integrity and the values. Those are the facts.”

The domestic abuse:

“I’m glad I’m able to talk now,” he tells USA TODAY Sports, in his first public interview, “because a lot of things people were saying weren’t accurate. My conscience is clean and clear that I’m not the kind of person that they are saying about Omar. I can look at everybody in the eye and said, ‘Man, do you really think that is accurate?’ Come on now.

That is a heck of a job of setting the record straight.

Anyway, Vizquel is sad that no one invites him to any baseball events (he “just returned from Venezuela, celebrating Ronald Acuña Jr.’s MVP award, and worked with youth in baseball camp”, was invited to celebrate the career of Manny Ramirez by the Guardians, and was at the Giants celebration for retiring clubhouse manager Mike Murphy). And that he’s not in the Hall of Fame.

“You know what,” Vizquel says, “my conscience is clean. When I lay down my head in bed, I can lay down and sleep in peace. I know I’m not that type of person I was being portrayed.

“I’m just not.”

I don’t understand why Nightengale did that interview or why USA Today decided to print it. It didn’t improve my opinion of Vizquel or Nightengale.

Wander Franco has been arrested for not turning himself in to the police for questioning in the investigation into his relationship with two minor-aged girls.

I’m hating this off-season.