clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Friday Bantering: Today’s Rumour

Wild Card Series - Miami Marlins v. Philadelphia Phillies - Game One Photo by Rob Tringali/MLB Photos via Getty Images

Happy Friday, the first Friday of 2024. I have to keep saying 2024 because I’m having difficulty believing it.

There isn’t much for Jays’ news, as always.

There is a new rumour:

Jorge Soler has had 10 MLB seasons and a career 5.9 bWAR. In 2019, he had a 3.5 bWAR the best season of his career (his next highest WAR was 1.8 in 2023). I’m not thrilled with signing another replacement-level player, but that is where we are this winter.

Most of the time, Soler would be a DH who could fill in at right or left if needed, but I wouldn’t be thrilled with that. I’d be happier if he owned a first baseman’s glove.

The Mariners traded our old friend Robbie Ray to the Giants for Mitch Haniger and Anthony DeSclafani.

Haniger is an outfield who played for the Mariners until 2023 when he signed with the Giants as a free agent. He hit .209/.266/.365 in 61 games last year. DeSclanfani was a Jays farmhand before we sent him to the Marlins in the trade that got us Mark Buehrle, Jose Reyes and three others. He’s pitched nine MLB seasons and has a 54-56 with a 4.20 ERA in 180 games, 169 starts.

Ray is coming off Tommy John and won’t be pitching until mid-season at best.

And the Mariners traded infielder Jose Caballero to the Rays for lefty-hitting outfielder Luke Raley.

Raley, 29, hit .249/.333/.490 with 19 home runs last year. Caballero, 27, hit .221/.343/.320 in his rookie season.