clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Poll Time: Which Free Agent Bat Would You Like The Jays To Sign

Wild Card Series - Toronto Blue Jays v Minnesota Twins - Game Two Photo by David Berding/Getty Images

The Jays still refuse to give us anything to talk about, so let’s try a poll question:

Of the free agent batters remaining, who would you most like the Jays to sign?

There are a bunch of free agents left, but let’s stick to the top dozen or so:

  • Rhys Hoskins: 31, RHB, stats here. Rhys is pretty much a DH. He could play some first to give Vlad a day off now and then. Over the past two seasons, he has a 4.3 fWAR.
  • Brandon Belt, 36, LHB, stats here. We know him. LHB, he’s okay at first base but better at DH. In the last two seasons, he has a 2.4 fWAR (2.3 of it last year). He was fun to have around.
  • Joey Votto, 40, LHB, stats here. I mostly mention him because he’s Canadian, but I’m against signing him. Over the last two seasons, he has a -0.8 fWAR. The last time he was good was 2021, not all that long ago, but I wouldn’t bet money that 2024 will be good.
  • Whit Merrifield: 35, RHB, stats here. Another we know. It would be handy to have his glove for left and second base. He and the team turned down an $18 million mutual option. 3.0 fWAR over the last two seasons.
  • Matt Chapman: 31, RHB, stats here. We know his too. 7.8 fWAR over the last two seasons. The downside is that he will want a longer-term contract (4 or 5 years). The Giants seem to be the front runners for him. I wouldn’t want a 4 or 5 contract with him. I’d like third to be open for Addison Barger or Orelvis Martinez before long.
  • Justin Turner: 39, RHB, stats here. Another who would be a DH but could fill in at first and maybe third in an emergency. 3.6 fWAR the last two seasons. He had 23 home runs last year.
  • Gio Urshela: 32, RHB, stats here. He is a pretty good defensive 3B and a better bat than IFK (or at least likely would. 2.8 fWAR over the past two seasons (2.4 of that in 2022). I’d rather have one of our prospects play third.
  • Joc Pederson, 32, LHB, stats here. Can play left or right field, if not very well. 2.7 fWAR over the past two seasons (and 38 home runs). Not getting Ohtani
  • Tommy Pham, 36, RHB, stats here. Can play LF or RF. CF in an emergency. 2.5 fWAR over the past two seasons.
  • Cody Bellinger, 28, LHB, stats here. The biggest name left among the free-agent hitters. He wants a long-term contract (5 or 6 years?). Over the last two years, he has a 5.9 fWAR (4.1 last year). I guess it depends on whether you think last year was the real thing or if it was a fluke.
  • J.D. Martinez: 36, RHB, stats here. He’s a full-time DH. 3.2 fWAR over the last two seasons.
  • Jorge Soler, 32, RHB, stats here. Another full-time DH who could stand in the outfield if he really had to. 2.4 fWAR over the past two seasons. Another the team has been rumoured to be talking to. 36 home runs last year. We could use that sort of power.

Poll

Which free agent would you like the Jays to sign?

This poll is closed

  • 9%
    Rhys Hoskins
    (174 votes)