clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Tuesday Bantering: Who is your pick to be Jays Comeback Player of the Year?

Wild Card Series - Toronto Blue Jays v Minnesota Twins - Game Two Photo by Brace Hemmelgarn/Minnesota Twins/Getty Images

The most frustrating off-season in history continues at the same pace. I’d love some news. Or something resembling news. Or even a rumour that wasn’t about a replacement-level player.

Let’s try a poll. Who is your mid-winter pick to be the Blue Jays ‘Comeback Player of the Year.’ Which Jay will improve the most over last year?

There are many choices:

  • Alejandro Kirk? Before the season, I would have said Kirk was the hitter who could fall out of bed and hit. He didn’t strike out, and he always made hard contact. Last year, not so much. The 100-point drop in OPS was unexpected.
  • Vladimir Guerrero? The slugging disappeared. 26 home runs would be good for most players, not him. He never seemed to have the hot streak we kept expecting.
  • Daulton Varsho? After two seasons of OPS+ numbers slightly over 100, the 85 hurt. With his defense, he doesn’t have to be terrific with the bat, but above average would be good (though I hoped he would be playing CF, where his defense could carry his glove).
  • George Springer? After four seasons of OPS+ numbers ranging from 150 to 132, the 102 last year was disappointing. He was healthier than before, but the bat wasn’t the same. As a leadoff man, we need him to be better.
  • Alek Manoah: A 5.87 ERA after coming in third in Cy Young voting in 2022? There is a lot of room for improvement.

There are others, Nate Pearson, Yimi Garcia, Mitch White, Santiago Espinal, but lets keep the poll to the other five.

Poll

Who is your pick for Jays Comeback Player of the Year?

This poll is closed

  • 12%
    Kirk
    (99 votes)
  • 29%
    Guerrero
    (226 votes)
  • 16%
    Varsho
    (129 votes)
  • 4%
    Springer
    (37 votes)
  • 33%
    Manoah
    (264 votes)
  • 3%
    Someone else?
    (24 votes)
779 votes total Vote Now

The Yankees signed Kevin Smith, which makes me sad, cause he was a favourite of mine, and now he’s evil.

But the one joke never ends:

Our friends at FOCO have a new bobblehead, a Vlad/Bo combo. Foco does good quality bobbleheads. It has them standing in a closed-off circular base in which half of the base opens, so it is like 2 separate bobbles in one, but hinges so that can separate. Vlad is rather svelte (hopefully this will be how he looks at the start of next season). This one is limited to just 124.