Chris Archer was nearly unhittable tonight, leading the Rays to a 4-2 victory. The 26-year-old right-hander struck out 11 hitters over 7 innings, scattering just two hits.
A Jose Reyes injury quickly became the story of the game. The shortstop left the game after the first inning, with what is rumoured to be an oblique injury. Devon Travis was also in a great deal of pain following a hard slide from David DeJesus, but managed to remain in the game.
Aaron Sanchez gave up three earned runs over 5.1 innings, striking out 4. He looked much better than in his first start, but still did not show strong command. Aaron Loup gave up a two run home run in the sixth, giving the Rays a 4-0 lead.
Through the first six innings, the Jays only managed two hits of Chris Archer. A Edwin Encarnacion home cashed in Devon Travis in the 8th, before Travis' double scored Russell Martin in the 9th. Not the best showing from the Jays' offence.
- Jose Reyes: 0 for 1, ground out. Left the game after the first inning with the injury.
- Josh Donaldson: 1 for 3, infield single, K, ground out, HBP. Throwing error in the second.
- Jose Bautista: 0 for 4, GIDP, infield fly, line out, fly out.
- Edwin Encarnacion: 0 for 2, foul out, ground out, HBP.
- Justin Smoak: 0 for 2, 2K, BB. Navarro came in for him in the 8th.
- Russell Martin: 0 for 1, HBP, K, 2 BB. Threw out Stephen Souza in the 3rd, which got Aaron Sanchez out of a 2 out- 2 on jam.
- Dalton Pompey: 0 for 4, 3K, ground out to the pitcher. He is hitting just .158 so far.
- Kevin Pillar: 0 for 4, 3K, fly out. Missed a diving catch in the 5th, helping the Rays put a second run on the board.
- Devon Travis: 2 for 4, K, line out to deep centre, line-drive single, double. Nice play on a ground ball up the middle in the first.
- Ryan Goins: 1 for 3, line drive single, K, BB, infield fly.
- Dioner Navarro: 0 for 1, ground out.
- Aaron Sanchez: 5.1 IP, 5H, 3 ER, 4 K, 3 BB. 90 pitches, 52 strikes. Great stuff, spotty command. Plenty of groundball outs as well.
- Aaron Loup: 0.2 IP, immediately gave up a two-run home run to the first batter Tim Beckham, then a fly out and strike out ended his outing.
- Marco Estrada: 3 IP, 2 H, 3K, 0 ER. Plenty of weak contact. Nice to see him getting some innings finally, he really has not received much of an opportunity thus far.
The Jay of the day is Devon Travis. Though no Blue Jay earned the number, Travis' two hits and deep line out earned him the honour. He also provided solid defence, turning a very nice double play with Ryan Goins in the second.
Suckage goes to Jose Bautista (-1.97), Dalton Pompey (-1.37), and Kevin Pillar (-1.12). I will also give one to Aaron Loup for allowing a home run to the first batter he faced.
The Jays will now welcome the Atlanta Braves into town for a three game series. Julio Teheran goes up against Drew Hutchison in game one.